Looking for some new lunch ideas to keep it interesting? Kels has created four new nutritious, delicious and easy recipes. Enjoy!
1 cup sushi rice
4 sheets of nori (seaweed)
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 large can tuna
3 tbsp kewpie mayonnaise
- In a saucepan add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice (you can cook this in the rice cooker if you have one and prefer)
- Once the rice is cooked, drain and pop in a bowl, set aside until it cools
- Add the rice vinegar into the rice and stir
- Drain the tuna and place it in a small bowl, add the kewpie into it and stir until the tuna becomes creamy
- Lay a sheet of nori onto the bench and add the rice, pressing down flat
- Add the tuna, creating a small row horizontally (closest to you)
- Roll up the sushi, keeping it firm as you go
- Set aside until you finish the rest, then go back and cut the sushi up into small pieces
- Pack this in a lunchbox along side some other goodies! A great alternative to keep the lunchboxes exciting!
CREAMY EGG & LETTUCE BAGEL
A perfect way to pack a tradies lunch with a double bagel to keep them nourished throughout the day. The Lunchbox is nice and compact so no food is moving around whilst in there, one of my favourite go to lunches.
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp mayonaise
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- Boil the two eggs in a small saucepan of hot water for 3 minutes.
- Once the eggs are cool, peel, cut in half and set aside.
- In a bowl have the eggs, then combine with the mayonaise, curry powder and onion
- Mix until a creamy consistency.
- Slice the bagels in half and start spreading the egg mixture and then top with the lettuce.
- Cut the bagels in half and pop them into the lunchbox.
- You’ll love these delicious bagels come lunchtime!
HOMEMADE PITA CHIPS WITH CREAMY DIP
This recipe is so delicious and easy, not only is it great for a lunchbox it’s also great for a platter or even as a side with dinner
2x pita pockets
garlic and herb seasoning
1 large tbsp cream cheese
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tbsp mayonaise
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and cut the pita pockets into small triangles
- Lay them evenly on the unbaking paper and drizzle with a little olive oil and seasoning with the garlic and herbs
- Pop in oven and they won’t require any longer than 10-15 minutes (remove them when they are golden and crisp)
- Meanwhile in a bowl add the cream cheese, sour cream, chives, mayonaise and salt and pepper.
- Give a good stir until a thick and creamy consistency
- Once the pitas are cooked, remove from the oven and plate up alongside the dip
- This will be a hit amongst many!
FREEZER FRIENDLY PIKELETS
One of my all time favourites because you can make batches of them and freeze them for those mornings you are stuck on what to pack in the lunchboxes. Also a perfect little snack to take to the park or beach and a great way to save money on store bought packaged foods! A simple, fun and great lunchbox filler.
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla bean essence
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
butter, to fry with
- In a large bowl add all the above ingredients apart from the butter and mix well
- Once you have a smooth consistency, set aside.
- In a large pan, add a tbsp of butter and once melted start portioning out the mixture onto the pan
- When the side facing up begins to slightly bubble that’s when you flip it over to the other side
- Once cooked transfer them to a plate to let cool
- You can serve these warm with jam, or freeze them (once completely cooled)