This incredible smoothie recipe is brought to you by very talented Cass McCarthy - mum, nutritionist, Byron local & organic home grower. Cass & Sophie have a shared passion for sustainability & permaculture. You'll love this quick & delicious recipe!
This thick & filling breakfast smoothie is perfect for bellies both young & old. You can use fresh fruit, however, I recommend chopping & freezing both the banana & kiwi fruit the night before in a Silicone Food Pouch. This creates a cold & silky texture - it’s almost like eating froyo for breakfast. Yum!
Both mango & pineapple make suitable replacements for the kiwi fruit if you don't have any on hand. Cultured coconut yoghurt adds a lovely creaminess to the smoothie and is a wonderful way to sneak in some probiotics. Have leftovers? Why not freeze some into Icy Pole moulds for the ultimate summer snack?
- ½ ripe avocado, flesh only
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 frozen kiwi fruit, chopped (frozen preferably)
- 1 ripe banana (frozen preferably)
- 2 tablespoons plain cultured coconut yoghurt
- 400ml coconut water
- Place all ingredients into a blender & blend until smooth.
- Enjoy your smoothie plain or add your favourite toppings, such as a dollop of coconut yoghurt, granola, nuts, seeds or fresh fruit.
- Pour into your favourite Smoothie Cup and enjoy!
More inspiration is available at First Year of Food & CrunchBox recipes & inspiration. Thanks Cass!